We need your feedback: Bigger, less frequent pound openings?

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Should we have bigger, less frequent pound openings?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:26 am

Yes - increase pound size to 1800 pets and open 1.7 times per day
35%
No - keep pound size at 1300 pets and open 2.4 times per day
65%

Total votes : 3234

Re: We need your feedback: Bigger, less frequent pound openi

Postby nowh » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:11 pm

X-Cat wrote:considering things like timezones, work, school, and life commitments, i think the current system (more frequent openings, less pets) is probably still the ideal.

The thing with less pets is often times if you're even 2 minutes late it's all gone. So you can plan to be on for say the two openings and something comes up and you miss them.

It's not the end of the world if you miss pound once or twice a week. It seems it'll still open every day based on this poll n I personally would like a higher chance at getting a rarer pet for my collection.

Fellefan wrote:in my opinion the main "problem" with the pound is that we can see what pets will be available in the next opening. when people spot a high value pet in the upcoming opening alerts are sent out and a lot of people show up making the pound incredibly slow, making it almost impossible for us with slow internet to catch anything good. I don't think increasing the size is going to change this, but making adjustments so NO pets in the pound are visible until it opens would at least do something.

I do think something should be done about the bots. I notice that generally when I do not pay attention to what's in the pound, I leave with a better mindset. I also stay away from the pound pets you got thread generally haha. Also, there's been a lot of talk about the possibility of bots being used to claim rare pets and I think if anything can be done to stop that, it should.
─────────────────
nowh | he/him
─────────────────
Image Image
───────────
───────────
nowh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verd » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:19 pm

Honestly I appreciate more frequent openings rather than larger openings less frequently. It already feels bad to miss a pound due to unfortunate scheduling, being asleep, at work (etc.) but having fewer openings would make it feel even more punishing to miss an opening. I understand the appeal of larger pounds as the ones we had during the Easter event were nice, but I just worry the benefits won’t be substantial long term. Besides, unless there are 1300 active users online at the time of the opening (which is very rare outside of events) the pound will stay open for at least a few minutes, usually staying open longer anyways.

ImageImageImage
verd / vox / tobi
gay man - adult - autistic
trades always open

currently reading/playing:
house of leaves and mass effect
Verd

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby answrs » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:30 pm

nowh wrote:
I do think something should be done about the bots. I notice that generally when I do not pay attention to what's in the pound, I leave with a better mindset. I also stay away from the pound pets you got thread generally haha. Also, there's been a lot of talk about the possibility of bots being used to claim rare pets and I think if anything can be done to stop that, it should.

pretty sure staff have said there's almost no evidence that such bots exist, and especially not in such dramatic Numbers as I've seen talked about. how would staff even fight a problem that doesn't exist, or if it does, is effectively identical to someone with a fast Internet connection clicking immediately when the page loads?

I would love for someone to actually show proof that this exists, because for all its been dramatized and complained about no one can actually say there's any evidence except that some users have gotten "too lucky", but I would assume if there's any substance to the complaints staff would have already acted on it.

-

on to the topic itself, more frequent openings is imo much better than bigger ones. it doesn't leave any particular group never able to adopt a pet, either due to timezones or conflicting work/school/etc commitments.
After 11 years of seeking, I finally obtained my all-time dream on October 1, 2020 ;w;

answrs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satanfemme » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:33 pm

I think more frequent is better than bigger. my one issue with the pound is how infrequently it's open (though I understand why it's infrequent). personally I think lowering the number of openings would make it even more difficult for me to catch it, even with more pets extending the time frame it's open for.
❥ he or she Image

❥ ΘΔ doggie
❥ newish user (joined january)
❥ always looking for trades!
Image Image
satanfemme

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sm06sm » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:36 pm

You can see what will be in the pound opening?
sm06sm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bookshelf » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:37 pm

Fellefan wrote:in my opinion the main "problem" with the pound is that we can see what pets will be available in the next opening. when people spot a high value pet in the upcoming opening alerts are sent out and a lot of people show up making the pound incredibly slow, making it almost impossible for us with slow internet to catch anything good. I don't think increasing the size is going to change this, but making adjustments so NO pets in the pound are visible until it opens would at least do something.

yeah as much as i like stalking the pound before opening i think this would help. plus it would prevent people from bookmarking certain pets and then bombarding whoever got them with offers.

-----------------------------

adult, college student, she/her

-----------------------------

bookshelf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kahvar » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:38 pm

I didn't realize that was possible. If it is, I agree it would be better if everyone is going in blind.

I'd rather the opening frequency stay as it is. Even knowing when the pound will open (which I rarely do) I often find it hard to catch. Not because the pets are gone so fast, but because I can't schedule my day around it. At least as things stand there is a chance for me to catch an opening every few weeks. Reducing the openings will make it much more difficult.
Kahvar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kalid » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:39 pm

I really dont think 500 pets are enough to extend the opening by much. And my life is extremely hectic, i cant always get to the internet/computer/phone within an hour of it opening even if i know it will be opening.

I highly prefer the current system and agree with the suggestion to always have the current pound adopt group hidden.
ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
~~~~
Buying Unknowns
for 1FR gem each

~~~~
My Art Shop
~~~~
ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
Kalid

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby puffy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:39 pm

i think the current system (more frequent smaller openings) works the best. it's nice that it's staggered more throughout the day, so different timezones are considered (like a few people have said) and it doesn't feel as bad if you miss a pound opening.

i also feel like it makes the community more active- i find a lot of people are more active right before or after the pound, so it's nice to have that flood of people to trade with. without the more frequent openings, it may not be much of an impact, but it would be less active players during the day.
puffy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PansyPossum » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:40 pm

Verd wrote:Honestly I appreciate more frequent openings rather than larger openings less frequently. It already feels bad to miss a pound due to unfortunate scheduling, being asleep, at work (etc.) but having fewer openings would make it feel even more punishing to miss an opening. I understand the appeal of larger pounds as the ones we had during the Easter event were nice, but I just worry the benefits won’t be substantial long term. Besides, unless there are 1300 active users online at the time of the opening (which is very rare outside of events) the pound will stay open for at least a few minutes, usually staying open longer anyways.

I agree with this, more frequent openings! The other day after catching 6 Lost and Found openings in a row, I finally saw "6 hours until the pound"... Which was set to open sometime around 5 in the morning for me!! 😴💤 (by some 'lucky' chance I woke up at 5:45 with a few hundred pets left, then managed to fall back to sleep lol, but its not a pound you want to set a timer for!)
And of course its not possible to catch every Pound, that's bound to happen, but making them less frequent means waiting and waiting for another pound timer to appear, only for the first one you see again to end up being at some inconvenient time? That's disappointing!
Sometimes you miss your chance at pets at a Pound, it happens but theres always next time! To me, it's gonna seem even more frustrating if you miss your chance and know it's going to take even longer to try again at the next Pound opening.

I feel like boosting the number of pets and making pounds less frequent is a totally valid option to incorporate during events, like how it was at Easter! But not for the regular day to day when people aren't online as actively.
he/they pronouns
Always open to trading my duplicates!
Pet's name: Lazlo
PansyPossum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me